Sunday, March 20, 2005

Toulouse

Back from the GERAS (Groupe d'Etudes et de Recherche en Anglais de Spécialité) congress in Toulouse. I didn't take these photos but this is more or less how the "ville rose" looked at the end of last week.
Toulouse
Sunny evening in Toulouse
A good time was had by all. The Friday evening banquet took place not on the Garonne as planned (too high due to snow melting in the Pyrenees) but on the Canal du Midi. At one point we passed over the autoroute.
I saw the following:
*Maurizio Gotti on "Legal Discourse in Multilingual, Multicultural Contexts"
*David Little on "Learner Autonomy and ESP"
*A round table discussion on "Quelle Place pour l'anglais en France dans l'espace européen d'enseignement supérieur."
*Paul Seabright on "The English language Dominance of Economics : issues for pedagogy and public policy"
*Bernard Cotnoir on "Le e-Portfolio (ou cyberfolio) en tant qu'outil d'apprentissage des langues."
*Anne-Marie Methy on "L'Utilisation du Portfolio Européen des langues"
*Jean Soubrier on "Langue de spécialité et cultures nationales"
*John Humbley on "Termes techniques et marqueurs d'argumentation: pour débusquer l'argumentation dans les articles de recherche"

The old tobacco factory, now the law and social sciences faculty
The old tobacco factory, now the law and social sciences faculty where the conference took place.


Category:

5 comments:

Sarolta said...

The topics of the conference sound most interesting to me. Did you find the presentations useful/thought provoking?
But what really fascinates me is your picture of Toulouse. Is taking photos your hobby, Lesley? The colours are breathtaking. it's a pity though that I can't see the old tobacco factory. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Well, all those wonderful sounding talks ....... but as your memory is failing can you tell us the one single fact which has stayed in your mind and that you will be bringing up at your next dinner party outing ?

Lesley said...

Sarolta, The photos aren't mine: I didn't take my camera (i don't know why the second one isn't coming up, it did earlier today). As for the talks: most of them were stimulating.

Deborah (a.k.a. anonymous) I don't know if I learned any facts but perhaps this quote will stick in my seive of a memory: "C'est le langage et non l'homme qui parle" (Morin)

Anonymous said...

Lesley, I suppose I should look up Morin in Google as I've never heard of him (presume it is a him).
Is sieve the exception to the rule i before e except after c?
I don't really agree with his quote but perhaps one has to know the context.

Anonymous said...

I am interested in your blogs.

Confinement

Being confined indoors most of the day, just the four of us, is reminding me of the days when my children were wee and most of our weekends ...