Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Sharing .... or then again not

jill/txt enthuses over CiteULike:

"CiteULike is like del.icio.us except for academic papers. You create an account (free), drag a bookmarklet to your toolbar and henceforth, every time you encounter an interesting looking paper online you click your CiteULike bookmark instead of (or as well as) your del.icio.us bookmark."

I can see the possibilities of this but I can't see how one can possibly share everything with everyone. My pointer still hovers over all those little bookmarklets each time I come across something interesting. Blog it? Furl it? Technorati it? del.icio.us it? or Flickr it (if it's a photo I want to "recycle"?)

Music is easier. I can't remember where I read about this but the blogger in question thought it was woooonderful. I can't imagine anything worse than other people knowing what sort of music I'm listening to, and I certainly don't want to contact any of the people who are listening to the same things: I like my friends to have taste. But some of you more discerning listeners might like it: Audioscrobbler

"Audioscrobbler is a computer system that builds up a detailed profile of your musical taste. After installing an Audioscrobbler Plugin, your computer sends the name of every song you play to the Audioscrobbler Server. With this information, the Audioscrobbler server builds you a 'Musical Profile'. Statistics from your Musical Profile are shown on your Audioscrobbler User Page, available for everyone to view."

No comments:

Confinement

Being confined indoors most of the day, just the four of us, is reminding me of the days when my children were wee and most of our weekends ...