Saturday, March 26, 2005

10 Things meme

I saw this on SaneScientist and he saw it on The Kaptain Kobold Blog
The idea is that I tell you ten things that I've done and that I don't think any of the people who read this blog will have done. If I'm wrong, you leave me a comment to correct me and I have to delete the item in question and add another one to replace it. It's taken me absolutely ages to think of these ten things and they become increasingly pathetic as the list goes on. Unfortunately, some of them come across as boastful because one tends not to mention the events in one's life that were excrutiatingly cringe-inducing (but I have anyway). Nevertheless, I think it might be a good way to get some of my students blogging interactively. Here we go:
1. I have lived on an island in the Inner Hebrides.
2. I have dislocated my knee on a hockey field and on a volleyball court.
3. I have been simultaneous interpreter for two ex-prime-ministers of France
4. I have had an extremely painful massage from a wrestler in a Turkish hammam.
5. I have been trekking in Nepal.... and developed a dental abcess half-way up a mountain.
6. I have tasted sanguette: that's blood poured straight into the frying pan from a chicken's severed neck.
7. I have been finalist in the Scottish schools public speaking contest.
8. I have driven 200 km on the motorway with one of those roofracky boxes on the wrong way round.
9. I have spent a night on a bench in Waterloo station because I missed my train.(Deleted: Alan Saunders did same in Euston)
10.I have been on a plane that returned to its point of departure because...the windscreen wipers weren't working.

11. I have seen the other side of the Lascaux 2 cave paintings (ie. raw fibreglass)

Category:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still just trying to find a quick way to add a comments

Anonymous said...

Ok, I've got it now, I mustn't put 'blogger' but must choose 'other'
Just to say it was fun to read all the things you have done the we most certainly haven't done. I think the rules should be changed to give us more of a sporting chance ... for example, only one thing in each item. Maybe someone has been trekking in Nepal but didn't get an abscess. I once got a dental abcess when I was on my first trip to Spain in Santander ... not trekking but trying to learn Spanish. My maiden name is Street and the teacher had great fun calling me Senorita Calle ....

Kaptain Kobold said...

"9. I have spent a night on a bench in Waterloo station because I missed my train."

I've done the same in Euston Station - does that count?

teacher dude said...

I can't say that I've done any of the things on your list (the sanguette sounds particularly disgusting). However, I have slept rough overnight on a front steps of a church in Oxford and eaten boiled sheep's brains (yukkk!!!)

Lesley said...

Mmmm boiled sheep's brains, sounds like an unforgettable gastronomic experience.

teacher dude said...

Just say it's a taste that lingers on the palate....

Confinement

Being confined indoors most of the day, just the four of us, is reminding me of the days when my children were wee and most of our weekends ...